http://www.organictuscany.org/recipes/wp-content/uploads/Chiacchere.jpg 480 725 Shilpa http://organictuscany.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/organictuscanylogo3-300x200.png Shilpa2017-02-28 23:34:262017-02-28 23:42:10Carnival ribbons - Chiacchiere
Chiacchiere - Fried Carnival Ribbons
All over Italy, cooks made ribbons of fried dough as one of the most traditional Carnival sweets. In Tuscany they are known as chiacchiere.
- 500g (4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 70g (1/3 cup) granulated sugar
- 30 ml (tablespoon) grappa
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 extra egg yolk
- 50g (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- zest of 1 untreated lemon
- 6g (1 teaspoon) natural baking powder
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Icing (powdered) sugar to cover
- In a large bowl, mix together the sifted flour and the sugar. Add a pinch of salt and the lemon zest and mix well.
- Beat the eggs (3 whole and 1 yolk) together in a separate bowl.
- Add the beaten eggs to the ingredients in the bowl gradually, mixing well.
- Add the butter in little pieces and mix well, getting rid of any lumps.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly for 5-10 minutes. The mixture should be firm but pliable. You may need to add a little flour or a little water as you go.
- When the dough has come together, make a ball, cover in cling wrap and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Make 4 portions out of the ball of dough.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out thin (2 mm).
- Using a pastry cutter, cut out large (4 inch by 3 inch approx) rectangular strips.
- Fry in plenty of hot oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar to serve.