http://www.organictuscany.org/recipes/wp-content/uploads/focaccia.jpg 300 530 Shilpa http://organictuscany.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/organictuscanylogo3-300x200.png Shilpa2010-02-04 21:34:212016-07-16 10:57:16Rustic Focaccia
An easy but unusual focaccia recipe which makes a rustic-textured, half wholewheat bread. Ideal to eat with cheeses and salad.
- 500 g (1 lb) all purpose (plain) flour
- 500 g (1 lb) wholewheat flour
- 20 g (2/3 oz) fresh yeast
- 1 cup olive oil
- rosemary - 3 large sprigs worth, removed from stalks
Makes 2 medium oven trays of foccaccia
- Crumble the yeast into a large mixing bowl with the flour.
- Add a good pinch of salt and drizzle in half the olive oil. Mix well.
- Add warm water until you achieve a soft but not sticky mixture which you can work with your hands.
- Knead well for 10-15 minutes.
- Leave to rise in a warm place, covered, for an hour or two.
- Brush olive oil onto your oven sheets, roll out the dough to about a 1 cm (half-inch) thickness and leave to rise again for an hour.
- Make dimples in the dough with your fingertips.
- Brush with the remaining oil and sprinkle with salt and the rosemary.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C/425°F for around 10-15 minutes until crusty outside, cooked through but still soft inside.
Instead of rosemary, use sliced onions or even very finely sliced potatoes and rosemary. Mmm!