|Print friendly recipe|
Your guests will be fighting over these tangy onions! Remember to provide plenty of bread to mop up the delicious caramelized sauce coating them.
Prep time: 15 mins | Total time: 1 hour 15 mins | Servings: 10
- 700 g (1 1/2 lb) small white pickling onions, peeled
- 2 tablespoons sugar or clear honey
- Half cup balsamic vinegar (or mixture of balsamic and wine vinegars, to taste)
- 1/2 litre (1 pint) cups vegetable stock
- Trim the onions of any remaining peel and hairy bits.
- In a heavy pan, brown the onions in a little olive oil, turning them over, until they are golden.
- Mix the vinegar and sugar/honey well.
- Add the mixture to the onions and cook for 5 minutes on a medium-high heat, stirring continuously.
- Cover (no more) with vegetable stock, cover the pan and cook on a slow heat for 45 minutes, adding a little more stock gradually as needed. You should aim for a thick syrupy coating on the onions.
Small Onions in a Balsamic Vinegar Reduction,