|Print friendly recipe|
This is a quick, healthy and tasty dish originally from southern Italy which has many possible variations (some add anchovies, some boil the broccoli in the pasta water etc). It is delicious made with orecchiette (ear-shpaed) pasta, but any short pasta will be fine.
Prep time: 10 min | Total time: 25 min | Servings: 4
- 1 lb (400 g) short pasta (orecchiette, penne, fusilli etc)
- Good swish (5 tbsp) olive oil
- 1.5 lb/ 800g broccoli
- 2 tsp capers, rinsed, squeezed dry and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 dry chili pepper
- Salt, pepper
- Parmesan cheese
You can prepare the sauce while the pasta is cooking.
- Wash and clean the broccoli: trim the florets, peel the stalks and save the tender central part (around carrot diameter). Chop these stalks finely (quarter inch pieces) and the florets to double that size.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan. Add the chili and the stalks. Add salt and stir-fry on a medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the florets and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and capers. Cook for a further minute.
- Drain the pasta, toss with the sauce, a little black pepper and parmesan cheese.
Pasta with broccoli,