Torta di Mele
|Print friendly recipe|
Manuela’s mother’s recipe. Thanks Licia!
Prep time: 20 min | Total time: 1 hour | Servings: 10
- 5 apples
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 200 g (1 cup) sugar
- Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla pod or a few drops of good vanilla essence
- 5 eggs
- 300g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 150 g (2/3 cup) butter
- 1 tablespoon (14 gr) of natural baking powder for 300 g (2 2/5 cups) flour. Please read this article
- 50 g (1/3 cup) pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F. Put the butter into a pot and melt in the oven, taking care that it doesn’t burn.
- Peel the apples and cut them into small pieces. Add the lemon juice and 50 g (1/4 cup) of the sugar. Mix together and set aside.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl. Add the remaining sugar and beat together well.
- Add the melted butter, the vanilla, the flour and the natural baking powder, mixing well.
- Add the apples.
- Put the mixture in a cake tin, sprinkle the toasted pine nuts on top and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Serve with whipped cream, custard or vanilla ice cream.