Stracotto di Manzo
|Print this recipe|
The vegetables in this slow cooked dish produce a velvety-textured sauce which goes perfectly with the tender meat.
Prep time: 20 mins | Total time: 2 hours, 45 mins | Servings: 8
- 500 g (1 lb) joint of beef, tied (a slightly fatty cut would work well, or you can use a roast beef joint)
- 2 onions
- 3 sticks celery
- 7 sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- Half a bottle of red wine
- Vegetable stock
- Brown the meat very well (10-15 minutes) in a heavy pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil, turning frequently.
- At the same time, chop the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and sage (not very finely) and sauté in olive oil with the bay leaves, until softened.
- Add to the meat
- Add the red wine to almost cover the meat.
- Evaporate off the wine on a medium heat.
- Cook slowly in vegetable stock to cover, turning occasionally and adding more stock gradually if needed, for at least two and a half hours.
Stracotto ~ Tuscan “Overcooked” Beef,