You can serve small quantities of this Tuscan bean dish on crostini, as an appetizer, or larger quantities as a hearty soup.
- 300g (10 oz) cooked cannellini or borlotti beans and the water they were cooked in
- 1 head escarole (or another curly bitter lettuce)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 small chilli peppers
- Olive oil
- Boil the lettuce in plenty of boiling, salted water. Squeeze the water out, and chop it finely.
- Stir fry the garlic (whole) and the chilli peppers in a good swoosh of olive oil.
- Add the cooked lettuce and cook for a little while, so that the lettuce takes on the flavours of the oil.
- Add the cooked beans and 2 cups of the water they were cooked in. Cook on a low flame for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with warm bread or toast, rubbed with raw garlic.
To cook the beans, soak overnight in plenty of cold water. Discard this water and cook on a low heat for approximately an hour and a half, until tender. Cooking with pieces of kombu seaweed improves the digestibility of legumes/pulses.