https://www.organictuscany.org/recipes/wp-content/uploads/gnudi.png 766 1062 Shilpa http://organictuscany.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/organictuscanylogo3-300x200.png Shilpa2017-02-26 22:47:092017-02-26 22:55:45Gnudi - "naked" ricotta and spinach dumplings
Gnudi - "naked" ricotta and spinach dumplings
These are dumplings made with the filling of ravioli, but with no pasta: hence "naked". Delicious with a tomato sauce, or with butter, parmesan and sage.
- 250g (half pound) spinach, washed
- 50g (3/4 cup) grated parmesan cheese
- 300g (1 1/4 cup) ricotta cheese
- 2 medium eggs
- Flour to dredge
- Nutmeg, salt and pepper
- To serve: simple tomato sauce or sage and butter sauce
- Put the ricotta cheese in a sieve over a bowl and leave to drain in the fridge for a few hours.
- Wilt the spinach in a pan until it reduces significantly in size and loses plenty of water.
- Squeeze as much water as you can out of the spinach by rolling in a tea towel and twisting it over the sink.
- Chop the spinach finely.
- In a bowl, mix together the spinach and the cheeses gently. Add salt and pepper to taste, and a good grating of nutmeg. Mix gently but thoroughly.
- On a floured surface, form balls of the mixture and roll in the flour to coat well. Aim to make around 12 dumplings.
- To cook, place a few at a time into boiling, unsalted water and remove from the water with a slotted spoon as soon as they float (a minute or so).
- Serve with butter, sage and parmesan cheese or a simple tomato sauce.