At our cooking classes in Tuscany we always have plenty of fresh herbs in the garden. It's useful to have a few pots on your kitchen window sill to jazz up any dish. The herbs really take this simple classic to another level. Completely different from any roast beef you’ve had!
- Joint for roast beef (1-1.2 kg/2- 2.5 lb)
- Knob of butter
- Two half cups olive oil
- Plenty of herbs (rosemary sage, marjoram etc)
- Salt, pepper
- Finely mince the leaves of 3 sprigs of rosemary and roll the joint in the rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Warm half the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Put a knob of butter on the top of the roast and brown the joint well on all sides, turning frequently (15 minutes approx).
- Throw away the oil you have used and wipe out the pan well.
- Finely mince herbs of your choice (sage, rosemary, marjoram, oregano etc).
- Roll the joint in these herbs and return to the pan, using clean oil.
- Add a cup of vin santo (or another sweet wine).
- Turn frequently and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes before slicing, very finely.
- Serve the delicious herby juices at the table to spoon over the meat.
For different effects, use red or white wine instead of vin santo.