This sauce is perfect to enhance the subtle flavours of homemade pasta, ravioli and gnocchi. It is far from light, so if you must(!) you can halve the quantities and use it sparingly, adding a good swirl of olive oil to help it coat the pasta/gnocchi. During our cooking classes in Tuscany, we use this sauce to dress fresh potato and spinach gnocchi. Just perfect!
- 100 g (3 oz) butter
- 20 sage leaves, whole
- 2 cups heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- Melt the butter on a low flame with the sage.
- Add the cream and cook on a low flame for a further 5 minutes, stirring in half the cheese.
- Leave for at least a further 5 minutes for the sage flavour to infuse the sauce. To dress gnocchi or pasta, put half the pasta into a warmed bowl.
- Add half the sauce and half the remaining cheese.
- Mix well and repeat with the remaining pasta, sauce and cheese. Serve immediately.