https://www.organictuscany.org/recipes/wp-content/uploads/schiacciata-alla-fiorentina.jpg 300 530 Shilpa http://organictuscany.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/organictuscanylogo3-300x200.png Shilpa2014-02-27 15:15:242016-07-05 17:46:56Carnival Sponge Cake
Carnival Sponge Cake
Schiacciata alla Fiorentina is a fluffy, delicately scented Mardi Gras cake. It is one of the dairy-free desserts that we make during our cooking courses in Italy.
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 150 g (3/4 cup) sugar (caster if you have it, if not, grind whatever you have finely)
- 2 eggs
- 250g (2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 5 tablespoons sunflower or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (14 gr) of natural baking powder
- 150 ml (just over half a cup) milk
- Powdered sugar, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F.
- Beat together all the ingredients well adding the natural baking powder last.
- Put the mixture in a 20x30 cm (9x13 inch) -or equivalent- cake tin lined with parchment paper, bake for 20-30 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. Turn out onto a plate.
- Serve by itself, or cut in half and layered with with whipped cream or confectioner's custard ("crema pasticciera" in Italian).