https://www.organictuscany.org/recipes/wp-content/uploads/tomato-sauce.jpg 300 530 Tina http://organictuscany.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/organictuscanylogo3-300x200.png Tina2010-03-08 11:44:392016-07-16 15:27:43Vegetable-based Tomato Sauce
Vegetable-based Tomato Sauce
This is a good alternative to a classic tomato and basil sauce. It has more texture and a more subtle, less tart flavour.Great with potato gnocchi, pasta, or any recipe that calls for a tomato-based sauce.
- 2 medium onions
- 3 sticks of celery
- 2-3 carrots
- 4-6 large cloves of garlic (depending on taste)
- 1.5 kg (3 lbs) ripe tomatoes, or equivalent in bottled or canned crushed tomatoes.
- Extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper
- 25 basil leaves
- If using fresh tomatoes, roughly chop them. Keep aside.
- Coarsely chop the onions, carrot and celery (1-inch pieces). Put in a large pot with a good swirl of olive oil.
- Add the tomatoes and cook on a medium flame for 30 minutes (when the carrots are cooked, switch off).
- Pass through a food mill (not too fine). If you do not use a food mill, you'll have to skin the tomatoes before you cook them.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and the torn basil leaves. Add a swirl of raw oil when serving.