https://www.organictuscany.org/recipes/wp-content/uploads/torta_di_mele.jpg 300 530 Manuela http://organictuscany.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/organictuscanylogo3-300x200.png Manuela2012-04-05 23:40:482016-07-08 16:51:26Moist Apple Cake
Moist Apple Cake
Manuela’s mother has offered lots of inspiration and recipes for our cooking classes in Tuscany. This is one of her recipes, now handed down to her children and grandchildren. Thanks Licia!
- 5 apples
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 200 g (1 cup) sugar
- Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla pod or a few drops of good vanilla essence
- 5 eggs
- 300g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 150 g (2/3 cup) butter
- Small packet (17 g /heaped tablespoon) natural baking powder. Please read this article
- 50 g (1/3 cup) pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F. Put the butter into a pot and melt in the oven, taking care that it doesn’t burn.
- Peel the apples and cut them into small pieces. Add the lemon juice and 50 g (1/4 cup) of the sugar. Mix together and set aside.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl. Add the remaining sugar and beat together well.
- Add the melted butter, the vanilla, the flour and the natural baking powder, mixing well.
- Add the apples.
- Put the mixture in a 12 inch/30 cm cake tin, sprinkle the toasted pine nuts on top and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Serve with whipped cream, custard or vanilla ice cream.