https://www.organictuscany.org/recipes/wp-content/uploads/zucchini-pasta.jpg 300 530 Shilpa http://organictuscany.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/organictuscanylogo3-300x200.png Shilpa2010-01-24 14:45:022016-07-13 07:28:59Simple zucchini (courgette) pasta sauce
Simple zucchini (courgette) pasta sauce
When the zucchini glut is upon us, we have this a couple of times a week. It’s light but fragrant and satisfying.
- 8 medium-sized zucchini (around 750g, 1 1/2 lb)
- 10 leaves or so of basil
- 1 egg
- Plenty (2 cups) Parmesan cheese, grated
- Pasta quantities are very subjective, but for a relatively heavy sauce such as this one, calculate 60-80 g/2-3 oz as a starter, or 140- 160 g/5-6 oz as a main course.
- Cut the zucchini into relatively fine (2mm) discs.
- Beat the egg and set aside. Heat a good swoosh of olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan and sauté the zucchini (add salt and pepper) on a high heat, until some are very brown (almost burning!)
- Add the egg and turn off the heat, stirring so that the egg cooks but remains moist.
- Rip up the basil leaves and add to the pan.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling water, salted just before you add the pasta. Cook it al dente (a good minute or two less than the packet instructions, until it is cooked but still firm to the bite).
- In a warmed bowl, combine the pasta with the pasta sauce. Add a good swirl of raw olive oil and a little of the cooking water if necessary. Either add freshly grated Parmesan cheese now or at the table.